Canon Froome, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

CANON FROOME (otherwise Canon ffroome) is a parish distant 7 miles N.W. of Ledbury, and 10 E.N.E. of Hereford, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Bishop's Froome polling district. The population in 1861 was 115; in 1871, 108; inhabited houses, 18; families or separate occupiers, 22; area of parish, 1,014a. 0r. 36p.; annual rateable value, £1,504. John Hopton, Esq., is lord of the manor and owner of the parish. The soil is a rich clay, producing wheat, beans, hops, and fruit. Canon Froome is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; living, a vicarage annexed to Munsley rectory; joint value, £400, with residence and 28 acres of glebe; patron, John Hopton, Esq.; vicar, Rev. William Buckle, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1871. The church, dedicated to St. James, was rebuilt in 1860, with the exception of the tower, which was erected about 1650, and is square and turreted, containing three bells. The cost of rebuilding was £2,341, defrayed by John Hopton, Esq., and the late Rev. John Hopton, who rebuilt the chancel. The earliest register is dated 1681. There is no school in the parish; the children attend at Ashperton. Canon Ffroome Court is a handsome modern mansion, adjoining the church. It is the seat of John Hopton, Esq., J.P. for Herefordshire and Worcestershire, and D.L. for Herefordshire.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Ledbury. The letter-box is cleared at 4 p.m. Tarrington is the nearest money order office. Postal telegrams may be sent from Stoke Edith railway station. Ledbury is the post town.
Parish Church (St. James's).- Rev. William Buckle, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. John Philpotts and W. Fennell, Churchwardens; David Gunn, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Buckle Rev. Wm., M.A. (vicar of Canon Ffoome and rector of Munsley), The Vicarage
Hopton John, Esq., M.A. (Oxon.), J.P. (for Herefordshire & Gloucestershire), D.L. (for Herefordshire), Canon Ffroome court; and at Kemerton, Gloucestershire
COMMERCIAL.
Gunn David, parish clerk
Harris William, head gardener to John Hopton, Esq., J.P., D.L., Canon Ffoome court
Hooper Joseph, farmer, Suffield farm
Lomas ___, head gamekeeper for John Hopton, Esq., J.P., D.L., Canon Ffroome court
Philpotts John, farmer and hop grower, Red castle
Pitt Walter, farmer, White house
WARGENT WILLIAM, blacksmith, machinist, and agricultural implement maker

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in August 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/CanonFrome.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library