Callow, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

CALLOW,
WITH THE HAMLET OF TWYFORD.

CALLOW is a small parish and village distant 4 miles S. of Hereford, and about 2½ E. of Tram Inn station on the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section). It is situated on a gentle acclivity on one of the main roads between Hereford and Ross, in ht eWebtree hundred, Hereford union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Much Birch polling district. The population in 1861 was 137; in 1871, 116; inhabited houses, 28; families or separate occupiers, 28; area of parish, 621a. 2r. 33p.; annual rateable value, £606. The Governors of Guy's Hospital, London, are lords of the manor, and own nearly the whole parish. the soil is clay and marl, producing chiefly wheat and root crops. Callow is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; living, a vicarage annexed to Dewsall; joint value, £210, with 2 acres of glebe and £14 derived from land allowed by Queen Anne's bounty; patron, Rev. Alfred W. Horton; vicar, Rev. Thomas Phillipps, M.A., of Jesus College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1838, and resides at Dewsall vicarage. The church is a good stone edifice, with square parapeted tower containing two bells. It was rebuilt and pewed in 1832, and consists of nave, chancel, gallery, &c., and has been recently restored. The earliest register is dated A.D. 1679. The school is new and very commodious, and is situate opposite the church. It has been lately erected by the Governors of Guy's Hospital, and Thomas Turner Esq., one of the governors, has kindly presented a clock. There are about 45 scholars. There is a charity belonging to the parish, which produces about £14 per annum, distributed to the poor every St. Thomas's day. It originated in £100 bequeathed (A.D. 1679) by Henry Pearl, Esq., East Indian merchant and native of this parish. Twyford is a hamlet about ¾ of a mile E. It was formerly a Roman settlement.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford about 10.30 a.m. There is no delivery on Sundays. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church.- Rev. Thomas Phillipps, M.A., Vicar; Mr. Daniel Dimery, Churchwarden; Walter Morgan, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls), opposite the church.- Maria Batterby, Mistress.
Church School, Twyford common.- Mrs Powell, Mistress.
Dissenting Meeting House, Twyford common.- Ministers various.
Carriers to Hereford.- The market-vans to and from Hereford every Wednesday and Saturday, usually call at the Angel Inn.

CALLOW,
WITH THE HAMLET OF TWYFORD DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Battersby Maria, mistress of National scl.
Dance Thomas, farmer, King's Pit farm
Dimery Daniel, farmer, Callow farm
Imms Michael Jas., farmer, Twyford farm
Mansell Thomas, farmer, Pullaston
Morgan Walter, parish clerk
Powell Mrs., schoolmistress, Twyford
Preece John, Angel Inn, and shopkeeper
Preece Mrs. Eliza, farmer, Brook farm
Taylor Thomas, mason, Callow lodge

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in August 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Callow.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library