Byton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

BYTON,
WITH THE HAMLET OF CWMS MOOR.

BYTON is a small parish situated near the main road from Leominster to Presteigne, and near the river Lugg; it is distant 4 miles E. of Presteigne railway station, 3 N.W. of Pembridge, 7 N.E. of Kington, 10½ W.N.W. of Leominster, and 21 N.W. of Hereford; is in Wigmore hundred, Pembridge polling district, Presteigne union and county court district, and Kington petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 214; in 1871, 208; inhabited houses, 43; families or separate occupiers, 43; area of parish, 946 acres; annual rateable value, £1,107. the trustees of the late Francis Evelyn, Esq., are lords of the manor and principal landowners. The Rev. Thomas King and the Misses Fletcher are also landowners here. The soil is gravelly; subsoil, rocky and alluvial; chief crops, wheat, barley, roots, &c. Byton is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Leominster; living, a rectory; value, £134, with 1 acre of glebe; patron, the Lord Chancellor; rector, Rev. Richard William Treen Hunt, B.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1854, and resides at Lower Heath, in the parish of Presteigne. There is also an annual payment to the rector, from Queen Anne's bounty, of £6 10s. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a new and handsome structure, with nave, chancel, porch, and small belfry. It was built in 1859, and is generally admired. there is a charity of £7 10s. yearly value. There is no parsonage house. A school board has been recently formed for a district, including the parishes of Byton and Upper Kinsham, together with the townships of Lower Kinsham and Combe, belonging to the parish of Presteigne, and a school is about to be erected at Byton with accommodation for 66 children. the Primitive Methodists have a chapel, which was erected in 1865. Cwms Moor is a hamlet in this parish. here are brick and tile works carried on.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Presteigne at 10 a.m. Shobdon is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Letters should be addressed - Byton, Presteigne, R.S.O., Radnorshire.
Parish Church (St. Mary's).- Rev. Richard William Treen Hunt, B.A., Rector; Mr. John Edwards and Mr. Thomas Morris, Churchwardens; William Bowen, Parish Clerk.
Board School.- ___ _____, Master.
   Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Ministers various.
   Carrier to Leominster.- John Griffiths (from Shobdon) every Friday; stops at the Elephant and Castle Inn, and returns about 4 p.m. the same day.

BYTON,
WITH THE HAMLET OF CWMS MOOR DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Bowen William, parish clerk
Edwards John, farmer, Court house
Edwards Thomas, cot. farmer, Rose bank
Evans Mrs. Martha, beer retailer (The Bell), Byton end
Jones Edward, farmer, Brick house
Lewis Thomas, farmer, Great Woodhouse
Morgan William, boot and shoe maker
Morris Thomas, farmer, Pipe trough
Sayers John, cottage farmer, Cwms moor

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in August 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Byton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library