Byford, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

BYFORD is a parish pleasantly situated on the river Wye, and on the main road leading from Hereford to Hay and Brecon, distant 7½ miles W.N.W. of Hereford, 12 S.E. of Kington, 13 E. of Hay, 14 S.W. of Leominster, and 6 S. of Weobley; is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Yazor polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 201; in 1871, 270; inhabited houses, 52; families or separate occupiers, 47; area of parish, 869a. 0r. 38p.; annual rateable value, £1,529 16s. 6d. Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., of Garnons, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is stiff loam upon gravel; chief products, wheat, barley, beans, peas, roots, and fruit. Offa's Dyke goes through this parish, and crosses the Hereford turnpike road. Byford is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory; value, £190, with residence and 32¼ acres of glebe; patron, Sir Henry G. Cotterell, Bart.; rector, Rev. Berkeley Lionel Scudamore-Stanhope, M.A., of All Souls College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1866. The church is a fine ancient stone edifice, in the Pointed style of architecture, partly Decorated, and has a square tower containing three bells. It is dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and contains nave, chancel, south aisle, with a lady chapel on the south. It was restored in 1851 at a cost of about £500, chiefly at the expense of the late rector. The register begins with the year 1724. There is an elementary school for this and the adjoining parish of Mansell Gamage; it is under Government inspection, and has a certificated mistress, with an average attendance of 65 children. The Rectory House, adjoining the church, is an excellent and very substantial building in Grecian style; it was erected by the late rector, the Rev. James Johnson.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. the mail-cart passes at 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Madley is the nearest money order office. Weobley and Hereford are the nearest telegraph offices. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St John the Baptist's).- Rev. Berkeley Lionel Scudamore- Stanhope, M.A., Rector; John Pearce Ellis, Esq., Churchwarden; Richard Ackland, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Deborah Archer, Mistress.
Carrier to Hereford.- Jonathan Burton passes through every Wednesday and Saturday about 9 a.m., returning the same days at 8 p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Scudamore-Stanhope Rev. Berkely Loinel, M.A., J.P. (rector of Byford and Vicar
of Mansell Gamage), The Rectory
Williams Rev. Richard Hayward, B.A. (vicar of Bridge Solers)
COMMERCIAL.
Ackland Richard, boot and shoe maker, shopkeeper, and parish clerk
Archer Miss Deborah, schoolmistress
Brace William, blacksmith
Crump John, carpenter and wheelwright
Ellis John Pearce, farmer, Byford court
Hadley Benjamin, farmer, Byford house
Lawrence Uvedale King, farmer and landowner
Nash Mrs. Catherine, farmer, Fallsbrook
Roberts Jeremiah, farmer
Watkins John, boot and shoe maker
Wootton John Henry, cooper, Townsend
Wootton Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper and farmer, Townsend

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in August 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Byford.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library