Bullingham (Upper and Lower), Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

LOWER BULLINGHOPE, otherwise BULLINGHAM, is a township pleasantly situated about 1½ miles S. by S.E. from the city of Hereford, and bounded on the north by the river Wye, which adds greatly to the picturesque scenery of the place. It is in Webtree hundred, Hereford union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division; and was annexed to the parish of Upper Bullinghope for ecclesiastical purposes only, by Order in Council of 19th May 1866. The population in 1861 was 255; in 1871, 331; inhabited houses, 57; families or separate occupiers, 60. (The increase of population is ascribed to the establishment of a large boarding school containing 61 persons.) Area of township, 1,069 acres; annual rateable value, £2,998. Charles De la Barre Bodenham, Esq., of Rotherwas, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, gravel; chief crops, wheat, barley, hops, and pasture. A loop line of railway passes through the township. Here is an establishment conducted by the "Sisters of Charity of S. Vincent de Paul". There is a Catholic chapel attached, at which the priest from Rotherwas officiates. There are excellent schools in connection with the institution, in which about 140 children are instructed; the poor are taught free, and Protestant children are admitted. The Manor House is the residence of the Right Rev. Thomas Joseph Brown, D.D., Roman Catholic Bishop of Newport and Menevia.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Thomas Wargent, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 7.40 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.20 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Roman Catholic Schools, conducted by the Sisters of Charity.

UPPER BULLINGHOPE, commonly called BULLINGHAM, is a small parish situated on the road leading from Hereford to Ross and Monmouth, about 2 miles S. of the city of Hereford. It adjoins the parish of St. Martin, and is in Webtree hundred, Hereford union, county court district, polling district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 83; in 1871, 55; inhabited houses, 14; families or separate occupiers, 14; area of parish, 685 acres; annual rateable value, £1,453. The lordship of the manor is vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are also the principal landowners. The soil is a red clay and loam; subsoil, gravel and marl; chief produce, wheat, barley, beans, and a few hops. Upper Bullinghope is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford. By Order in Council of the 19th May, and duly registered in the registry of the diocese of Hereford 7th June 1866, the townships of Lower Bullinghope and Grafton were separated from the parish of St. Martin, Hereford, and annexed, for ecclesiastical purposes only, to the parish of Upper Bullinghope. The living (under the District Church Tithes Act, 1865) has been constituted a vicarage, and gazetted as such on the 20th November 1866; value, tithe rentcharge, £213, with residence and 10 acres of glebe, also an annual payment of £89 4s. 10d. from Queen Anne's bounty, and £22 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Edward Hansford Daniell, M.A., of Christ's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1854. The combined population is 467, and the acreage 2,193. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient edifice, with nave, chancel, and bell-turret containing one bell. It was restored in 1819. The parish registers begin with the year 1682. A Sunday school is held here.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive from Hereford by messenger. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St Peter's).- Rev. Edward Hansford Daniell, M.A., Vicar; James Bowkett, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Brown Right Rev. Thomas Joseph, D.D. (Roman Catholic Bishop of Newport and Menevia), Manor house
Mumford Mr. Richard, Brook house
COMMERCIAL.
Brooks Joseph, farmer, Ridge hill
Evans David, farmer
Fluck William, farmer, Green Cryse
Francklin John, Dinedor hill
Like Thos., far. and hop gr., Manor farm
Magness William, sen., farmer, Watery Lane farm
Millward Thomas, Wye Hotel
Wargent Thos., blacksmith & postmaster
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Daniell Rev. Edward Hansford, M.A. (vicar of Upper Bullinghope, with Lower Bullinghope & Grafton annexed), The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Blashill George, farmer, Norton brook
Bowkett James, parish clerk
Landon Edwd., frmr. & hop grwr., Church farm, with Red hill and Court farms

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in September 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Bullingham.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library