Bromyard, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2005

BROMYARD,
WITH THE TOWNSHIPS OF LINTON, NORTON WITH BROCKHAMPTON, AND
WINSLOW, AND THE PARISH OF SALTMARSHE.

BROMYARD is a small market and union town, pleasantly situated on the Hereford and Worcester road, near to the river Froome, and surrounded by scenery exceedingly beautiful, being variegated with woody eminences, teeming orchards, rich meadows, and flourishing cornfields. It is distant 14 miles N.E. of Hereford, 12 E. of Leominster, 13 N. of Ledbury, 14 S.W. of Worcester, 12 S. of Tenbury, and 125 N.W. by W. of London. The parish consists of the townships of Bromyard, Linton, Norton with Brockhampton, and Winslow, and is in the hundred of Broxash, the union, county court district, and petty sessional division of its own name, and is a polling place for county elections.

Bromyard has long been wanting in railway communication, but there is now a station at Yearsett, 32 miles from the town, and in the ensuing year (1877) the railway will be completed to Bromyard, and an extension line to Leominster will shortly be commenced. The new line is worked by the Great Western Railway Company. The town contains several irregular streets, which are lighted with gas. There are two hotels and posting houses, a branch of the National Provincial Bank of England, and several good shops and private houses. A small trade is done in tanning and malting. The market is held on Mondays, and is tolerably well attended by the agriculturists of the neighbourhood. Fairs are held as follows: great market, last Monday in January; Thursday before March 25th; March 25th (hiring); May lst (hiring) May 3d; Whit-Monday; Thursday before July 25th; September 29th (hiring); Thursday before October 29th, and the second Monday in December. The population of Bromyard, according to the census returns in 1861, was 2,995; in 1871, 2,978; inhabited houses, 635; families or separate occupiers, 658, which are thus divided:-

  Inhabited Houses.   Families or Separate
Occupiers.
  Population.
Bromyard 297   307   1,322
Lipton 112   118   605
Norton with Brockhampton 130   133   578
Winslow 96   100   473
 
 
 
  635   658   2,978

The parish of Bromyard comprises an area of 8,611 acres - viz., Bromyard and Winslow townships, 3,368, Linton and Norton with Brockhampton townships, 5,243. The annual rateable value is £17,135 - viz., Bromyard, £3,696; Linton, £3,908; Norton with Brockhampton, £4,407; Lower Brockhampton, £163; Winslow, £4,961. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. Plans for the drainage of the town of Bromyard have been prepared by Mr. T. Curley, C.E., of Hereford, and new sewage works are to be immediately commenced at a cost of about £1,760. An improved supply of water, by the formation of new waterworks, is also proposed. The river Froome passes within a short distance to the E. of the town, and several smaller streams flow on the N. and W. sides.

Bromyard union comprises 32 parishes, three of which are in Worcestershire. The district extends over an area of 61,659 statute acres, and contained in 1861 a population of 11,811; and in 1871, 11,934, with 2,521 inhabited and 127 void houses. The rateable value of the union is £91,577. The union workhouse is situate in the township of Linton, and will accommodate about 160 persons. The guardians meet at the board-room every alternate Monday. The magistrates for Bromyard petty sessional division meet at the police court every alternate Monday. A new police station was erected in 1875 on an eligible site adjacent to the public hall in Church street. Bromyard is included in circuit 23 of the county court judges; the court is held at the public office every alternate month. The manor courts are held here annually.

The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure chiefly in the Norman and Early English styles of architecture. It stands on an eminence, and consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and square tower containing six bells and a clock. It will accommodate about 760 persons. Handsome stall-seats (designed by F. R. Kempson, Esq., of Hereford) fill the chancel, being the result of a subscription raised in 1867 to perpetuate the memory of the Rev. John Palmer, M.A., the late vicar. The whole of the chancel is about to be thoroughly restored and decorated by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: the representatives of the three portionists, the lay impropriators of the great tithes. There are several mural marble monuments and tablets. In the north transept is an incised stone in memory of a knight of the Baskerville family, whose effigy is sculptured on the slab. At the east end is a tomb to the memory of Phineas Jackson, vicar of Bromyard, who died in November 1681, having made various large bequests for charitable purposes in the town and neighbourhood. There are some stained glass windows (one to the memory of Mrs. Cooke, the wife of a former vicar). The parish registers commence with the year 1538.

The living is a vicarage in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; net value, £430, with residence; patron, the Lord Bishop of Worcester; vicar, Rev. Thomas Nash Stephenson, M.A., of Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1867, and is also a surrogate for the diocese of Hereford. The Congregational chapel, situated in Sherford street, is supposed to have been erected as early as the year 1693. In 1868 the chapel was renovated, and new Sunday-schools were erected at a cost of upwards of £200, defrayed by subscription. In 1874, the minister's house, which is adjacent to the chapel, was partially rebuilt. The Rev. John Peter Jones is the minister. The Primitive Methodist chapel, a small building on Tower hill, was erected in 1835. The Wesleyan chapel in the New road was built in 1857.

There is a free grammar school in Church street, founded by Queen Elizabeth, A.D. 1567. Its endowment of £16 was augmented with a sum of £20 per annum by Mr. John Perryn, a native of Bromyard, who died an alderman of London, A.D. 1656. The present schoolroom was rebuilt in 1835, when the Rev. W. Cooke, vicar of Bromyard, was headmaster; and in 1851 the school was put on its present footing, the appointment of the master being placed in the hands of the Worshipful the Goldsmiths' Company of London, who add to the former endowments. The education given to the scholars is of a mixed kind - viz. classical, when required, and, in the majority of cases, commercial. Boys resident in the parish pay £1 a year, and others £3. There are no university scholarships, and boys seldom remain beyond the age of fifteen. The present head master is the Rev. Henry William Weltch, B.A., of London University, who was appointed in 1851.

The national schools were erected in 1862, from the designs of F.R. Kempson, Esq., of Hereford, at a cost of £1,250. They form a handsome pile of buildings, and consist of boys' and girls' school-rooms, class-room, and master's house. They have a certificated master, and are under Government inspection. The number of children on the books is 160; average attendance, about 90. There are also British schools for boys and girls, situate in Bishell road; average attendance, about 120. The school buildings were erected in 1872 by Mr. James Jenks. A public elementary school has just been erected on Bringsty common. There are almshouses in Cruxwell street for seven aged women, who are allowed 2s. 6d. weekly.

The Bromyard Cottage Hospital was established in 1869, and is designed for the accommodation and treatment of suitable cases of sickness or accident amongst the poor of Bromyard parish, and of such other parishes as are within a radius of 7 miles of the town. It is supported by subscription. There is a rifle corps (the 4th Herefordshire), with an excellent band, and a Philharmonic society, which gives concerts occasionally. Races are held annually on Bromyard downs, and are well supported.

Linton is a township extending from the town of Bromyard to nearly 4 miles S. The area is. about 2,400 acres, and the rateable value £3,908. William Barneby, Esq., and the Rev. Arthur Childe, are the principal landowners. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, rock and clay; chief produce, wheat, barley, beans, peas, hops, and fruit. The Stream hall property in this township, now owned by W. Finney, Esq., contains some most valuable beds of stone quite different in character from any in the neighbourhood, but exactly similar in colour, hardness, and general characteristics to the famed stone of Yorkshire. The slabs can be got in any size that can be used. When the railway now in course of construction is completed, the quarry will be placed in connection with the large towns of England, which are greatly in need of this kind of stone. The Bromyard Union workhouse is situate in the township. New schools, with accommodation for 66 children, have been recently erected, and are maintained at the cost of William Barneby, Esq., of Saltmarshe castle. Clater Park, the property of William Barneby, Esq., is at present unoccupied. It is pleasantly situated about 2½ miles E. from the town of Bromyard, and 16 N.E. from Hereford.

Norton with Brockhampton comprise a township about 3 miles N.E. from Bromyard, and 16½ from Hereford. The area of the township is 2,879. acres, and the rateable value £4,407. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and John Habington Barneby-Lutley, Esq., is the landowner. The soil is clayey and loamy; subsoil, rock and clay; chief crops, wheat, beans, hops, and roots. Here is a school for boys land girls. On the Downs, in an elevated part of this township, is the race-course; also rifle-butts. There are stone quarries in the township. Brockhampton, the seat of John Habington Barneby-Lutley, Esq., J.P., D.L., is delightfully situated about 2½ miles S.E. from the town, closely adjoining the turnpike. road leading from Bromyard to Worcester, and commands an extensive and picturesque view of the Malvern hills and surrounding country. Adjacent to the mansion is a chapel, endowed by the family proprietors of Brockhampton house. The Rev. Robert Bentley, B.A., Bishop Hatfield's Hall, Durham, is the chaplain. Buckenhill House, the seat of Lady Shakerley, is a handsome mansion, situated about 1½ miles N. of the town.

Winslow is a township extending from the town of Bromyard to a distance of 2½ miles W. The area is 2,615 acres, and the rateable value £4,961. The chief crops are wheat, beans, hops, and barley. W. Henry Barneby, Esq., of Bredenbury court, the Hon. Beauchamp M. St. John, of Munderfield Harold, and Edward Drew, Esq., of Wallcroft house, are the principal landowners. Munderfield Harold, the residence of the Hon. Beauchamp Mowbray St. John, J.P., is delightfully situated. The Green, a brick mansion, commanding a beautiful home view, is now occupied by Captain Francis Pike. Wallcroft House, the property and residence of Edward Drew, Esq., is a modern stone building, situated near the Tenbury road, about 1 mile N.W. of Bromyard. It commands a pleasant prospect.

Saltmarshe, formerly extra-parochial, was constituted a parish for the purposes of the Act 20 Vict. c. 20. The area is 127 acres, and the rateable value £363. The population in 1861 was 10; in 1871, 30; inhabited houses, 7. Saltmarshe Castle, the seat of William Barneby, Esq., J.P., D.L., is distant about 3 miles N.E. from Bromyard, and 17 from Hereford. It is a noble and splendid edifice, and was renovated at considerable cost by the late Edmund Higginson, Esq. About 4 miles N.N.W. of Bromyard; on the summit of. Wall hill, is an old Roman encampment in a very excellent state of preservation.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Post and Telegraph Office, Market square; Mrs. Margaret Bennett, Postmistress. Arrival of Letters.- The London and general mail arrives by mail-cart from Worcester at 6.42 a.m. Despatch of Letters.- The box closes for the London and general mail at 5.45 p:m.; with an additional stamp till 6 p.m. The mail-cart is despatched to Worcester at 6.8 p.m. Letters for home delivery must be posted before 10 p.m. Delivery of Letters.- The town deliveries commence at 7.20 a.m. and 6.8 p.m. on week-days, and 7.20 a.m. on Sundays. The country deliveries:- Froome's Hill messenger (with bags for Acton Beauchamp and Bishop's Froome), Felton, Stoke Lacy, Thornbury, Collington, and Edvin Ralph messengers, are despatched at 7.20 a.m. daily; Munderfield Row messenger at 7.20 a.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. A messenger commences collecting from Bredenbury, homewards, at 4.30 p.m. daily. No country delivery on Sundays. The Postal Telegraph Office is open from 8 a.m. till 8 p.m. Letters, &c., can be registered until 5.30 p.m. Money order, savings bank, government insurance and annuity business is transacted, from 9 a.m. till 5 p.m., and on Saturdays till 8 p.m. On Sundays, Christmas Day, and Good Friday, the office is open till 10 am. for telegraphy, delivery and registration of letters, and sale of postage: stamps. Post Office, Bringsty Common; Joseph Wood, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive by mail-cart from Worcester at 6.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6.28 p.m. Letters can be registered here. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
ACTING MAGISTRATES FOR BROMYARD PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.- (The justices meet every alternate Monday at the Police court, Church street, at 1.30 p.m.) Rev. William Parsons Hopton, M.A., Bishop's Froome Vicarage, Chairman; Rev. Edward Renn Hampden, M.A., Cradley Rectory; Rev. Henry Browne, B.A., Eastham Rectory; Thomas Henry Little, Esq., Birchwood House, Cradley; John Habington Barneby-Lutley, Esq., Brockhampton; William Henry Barneby, Esq., Bredenbury Court; William Barneby, Esq., Saltmarshe Castle; Edward Bickerton Evans, Esq., Whitbourne Hall; Rev. Thomas Nash Stephenson, M.A., Bromyard Vicarage; Rev. Godfrey E. Alexander, M.A., Stoke Bliss Rectory; Richard Harington, Esq., M.A., LL.B.. Whitbourne Court; James Lane Wight, Esq., Tedstone Court; Joseph Jones, Esq., Abberley Hall; and the Hon. Beauchamp Mowbray St. John, Munderfield Harold. Clerk to the Justices, William West, Esq.; office, Broad street. List of Parishes and Places comprised in the Petty Sessional Division.- Avenbury Bredenbury, Bishop's Froome, Bromyard, Brockhampton (Lower),, Collington, Cowarne (Little), Cowarne (Much), Cradley, Edvin Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Grendon Bishop, Grendon Warren, Hampton Charles, Linton, Morton Jefferies, Norton with Brockhampton, Ocle Pitchard and Livers Ocle, Pencombe, Saltmarshe, Sapey (Upper), Stanford Bishop, Stoke Bliss, Stoke Lacy, Tedstone Delamere, Tedstone Wafer, Thornbury, Ullingswick, Wacton, Whitbourne, Winslow, and Wolferlow.
PLACES OF WORSHIP. Parish Church (St. Peter's).- Rev. Thomas Nash Stephenson, M.A., Vicar; Messrs. James J. Smith and James Lake, Churchwardens; Mr. Austen Bigg, Organist; William Warburton, Parish Clerk.
Congregational Chapel, Sherford street.- Rev. John Peter Jones, Minister.
Friends' Meeting House, Broad street.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Tower hill.- Rev. Robert Middleton, Minister.
Wesleyan Chapel, New road.- Rev. T.B. Jefferies, Minister.
SCHOOLS. Free Grammar (boys), Church street.- Rev. Henry William Weltch, B.A., Master.
British (boys, and girls), Bishell road.- Mr. William Preston, Master; Miss Wall, Mistress.
National (boys and girls).- Mr. Austen Bigg, Master. Public Elementary (boys and girls), Bringsty common. ___ ___, Mistress.
BROMYARD UNION.(The guardians meet at the Board-room, Union Workhouse, Linton, every alternate Monday at 10.30 a.m.) The Rev. William Parsons Hopton, M.A., JP., Bishop's Froome Vicarage, Chairman; Thomas Trinder, Esq., The Nupend, Cradley, Vice-Chairman; James Eckley, Esq., Treasurer; Henry Nicholls Knott, Esq., Clerk to the Guardians and to the Rural Sanitary Authority and Vaccination Officer; Alfred W. Robert,, Esq., Auditor; Rev. John Booth, B.A., Chaplain; William Powell, Esq., M.R.C.S., Medical Officer to No. 1 District; Dr. Etheredge, House Surgeon and Medical Officer to No. 2 District; Mr. Alfred Whitney, Master; Mrs. Sarah Whitney, Matron; Mr. Francis Herbert Holsey (No. 1 District) and Mr. Frederic Nicholas (No. 2 District), Relieving Officers. The Union comprises the following Parishes and Places:- Avenbury, Bredenbury, Bromyard, Collington, Cowarne (Little), Cowarne (Much), Cradley, Edvin Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Froome Bishop, Grendon Bishop, Grendon Warren, Hampton Charles, Linton, Lower Brockhampton, Morton Jefferies, Norton with Brockhampton, Ocle Pitchard, Pencombe, Saltmarshe, Sapey (Upper), Stanford Bishop, Stoke Lacy, Tedstone Delamere, Tedstone Wafer, Thornbury, Ullingswick, Wacton, Whitbourne, Winslow, and Wolferlow in Herefordshire; also, Acton Beauchamp, Edvin Loach, and Sapey (Lower) in Worcestershire.
REGISTRATION OF BIRTHS, DEATHS, AND MARRIAGES.- Superintendent Registrar, William Eckley West, Esq.; Deputy, Mr. John Godfrey Devereux. Registrar of Marriages, Mr. Henry Pumphrey; Deputy, Mr. James Smith. Registrars of Births and Deaths, Mr. Henry Evans Oakley, Market square, Bromyard (for Bromyard District), Mr. Frederic Nicholas, Bishop's Froome (for Bishop's Froome Distract), Mr. Francis Herbert Holsey, Broad street, Bromyard (for Brockhampton District); Deputy Registrar of Births and Deaths, Mr. Francis Hill, The Five Bridges, Much Cowarne (for Bishop's Froome District).
BANK. National Provincial Bank of England (branch of), draw on the head office of the National Provincial Bank of England, corner of Threadneedle street, London, E.C.; bank hours on Mondays and fair-days 10 till 4, on other days 10 till 3, except on Saturdays, when the bank closes at 12.30 p.m.; E.J. Halford, Esq., Manager, High street.
PUBLIC BUILDINGS, INSTITUTIONS, OFFICES, ETC. Almshouses, Cruxwell street (for seven aged women).
Bromyard Cottage Hospital, Church-yard.- The Lord Bishop of Hereford, President; Rev. George Arkwright, Rev. T. Nash Stephenson, and W. Henry Barneby, Esq., Trustees; Dr. Etheredge, J.B. Shelton, Esq. (Consulting Surgeon), W. Powell, Esq., and J. Owen, Esq., Honorary Medical Officers; E.J. Halford, Esq., Hon. Treasurer; Rev. George Arkwright, Pencombe rectory, and W. Henry Barneby, Esq., Bredenbury court, Hon. Secretaries.
County Court (Registrar's office, Broad street), held every alternate month at the Police court, Church street.- Rupert A. Kettle, Esq., Merridale, Wolverhampton, Judge (Circuit 23); Martin Curtler, Esq., Worcester, Treasurer; William West, Esq., Registrar; Francis Wyatt Dyer, Esq., High Bailiff; Mr. William Warburton, Sub-Bailiff. The following is a List of Places in the Jurisdiction of the Bromyard County Court:-Acton Beauchamp (Worcester), Avenbury, Bishop's Froome, Bredenbury, Bromyard, Collington, Cradley, Edvin Loach (Worcester), Edvin Ralph, Evesbatch, Felton, Grendon Bishop, Grendon Warren, Hampton Charles, Linton, Little Cowarne, Lower Sapey (Worcester), Morton Jefferies, Much Cowarne, Norton, Ocle Pitchard, Pencombe, Stanford Bishop, Stoke Lacy, Tedstone Delamere, Tedstone Wafer, Thornbury, Ullingswick, Upper Sapey, Wacton, Whitbourne, Winslow, and Wolferlow.
Depot of the British and Foreign Bible Society, at Mr. James Whitsey Williams's, 22 and 23 High street.
Fire-Engine House, Back street.- Christopher Johnson, Fireman.
Gas Works, Sherford street.- The executors of the late E.L. Ward, Lessees.
Inland Revenue Office at Hop Pole Hotel, Market square.- Mr. James Woodhead, Officer.
Market Hall, Church street (not used)
Oddfellows' Lodge (Broxash), held at the Hop Pole Hotel.- Mr. Henry Hughes, Secretary.
Police Court, Church street (used for magistrates' and county court sittings, &c.)
Police Station, Church street.- Mr. Thomas Ovens, Superintendent; Richard Strangward, Sergeant.
Stamp Office, Market square.- Mr. Henry Evans Oakley, Sub-Distributor.
Working Men's Institute and Temperance Hall (erected 1859), Church street.- Mr. J.W. Williams, Managing Trustee. The room is available for: temperance meetings, penny readings, lectures, &c.
PUBLIC OFFICERS. Bromyard Rural Sanitary Authority (meets at the Board-room, Union Workhouse, on the first Monday in every month.- The poor-law guardians constitute the sanitary authority.) Rev. W.P. Hopton, M.A., Chairman; H. Vavasour Sandford, Esq., M.D., Hereford, Medical Officer of Health; Henry Nicholls Knott, Esq., Clerk; Mr. Thomas Barrs, Inspector of Nuisances.
Clerk to the Assessment Committee.- Henry Nicholls Knott, Esq., High street.
Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes.- James Eckley, Esq., High street.
Surveyor of Taxes.- W. Holroyd Price, Esq., Inland Revenue Office, Hereford.
Clerk to the Guardians of Bromyard Union.- Henry Nicholls Knott, Esq., High street.
Clerk to the Highway Board.- W. Eckley West, Esq., Broad street.
Clerk to the Magistrates.- William West, Esq., Broad street.
High Constable.- Mr. John Gardiner Cook, Broad street.
Public Vaccinator.- William Powell, Esq., M.R.C.S., L.S.A., Broad St.
Rate Collectors.- Mr. John Ricketts, Ballhurst cottage, Winslow (for Bromyard); Mr. Henry Hughes, High street (for Linton); Mr. James Grubb, The Downs (for Norton with Brockhampton); Mr. John Clements, Winslow (for Winslow).
Registrar of County Court.- William West, Esq., Broad street.
Superintendent of Police.- Mr. Thomas Ovens, Church street.
Surveyor of Roads.- Mr. Edmund Trigg, Down cottage, Norton.
Town Crier.- James Harrell, Sherford street.
Vaccination Officer for Bromyard Union.- Hen Nicholls Knott, Esq., High street.
4th Herefordshire Rifle Volunteer Corps.- Captain; Thomas Henry Purser, Esq., and Henry Nicholls Knott, Esq., Lieutenants; James Brown, Drill Sergeant; Austen Bigg, Bandmaster.
CONVEYANCES. Yearsett Railway Station (Worcester and Bromyard Railway), Benjamin Cambridge, Station Master.
Mail-Cart to Worcester leaves at 6.8 p.m. daily, arriving in Worcester at 8 p.m.; returns at 4.50 a.m., arriving in Bromyard at 6.43 a.m.; James Tarbath, Proprietor.
Carrier to Worcester.- James Tarbath, leaves his house, Sherford street, at 7 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, and returns from the Boat Inn, Lowesmoor, Worcester, at 3 p.m. the same days.
Carrier to Worcester.- Henry Lane, from the Rose and Lion, New road, on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 7 a.m.; returning from the Reindeer Hotel, Mealcheapen street, Worcester, about 3 p.m.
Carrier to Worcester.- Chas. Williams, from Bringsty common, on Saturdays; stops at the Lion Inn, Newport street, and returns therefrom at 4 p.m.
Carrier to Cowarne (Little).- William Cross, from the King's Arms Inn, on Mondays.
Carrier to Froome's Hill.- Walter Firkins, from the Rose and Lion, New road, on Mondays at 3 p.m.
Carriers to Pencombe.- Mrs. Sarah Goodman and Wm. Cross, on Mondays.
Carrier to Stoke Bliss.- George Lynall, from the Falcon Hotel, Broad street, every Monday about 4 p.m.
Carrier to Stoke Lacy.- Henry Davis, from the Rose and Lion, New road, on Mondays at 3 p.m.
Carrier to Upper Sapey.- Mrs. Wood, from the Queen's Arms, on Mondays.

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in January 2005.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Bromyard.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library