Brobury, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BROBURY is a small parish bounded on the S. and S.W. by the river Wye, and intersected by the turnpike road leading from Hereford to Hay via Bredwardine. It is distant 11½ miles W.N.W. of Hereford, 8 E. of Hay, 10 S.S.E. of Kington, and about 3 S. of Kinnersley station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway; is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Eardisley polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 76; in 1871, 74; inhabited houses, 16; families or separate occupiers, 19; area of parish, 487 acres; annual rateable value, £678. Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., of Garnons, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay and sandstone; chief produce, wheat, barley, roots, and fruit. Brobury is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; living, a rectory annexed to the vicarage of Bredwardine; joint value, £300, with 37 acres of glebe; patrons, the trustees of the late Rev. N.D.H. Newton rector, the Rev. John Houseman, M.A., of Exeter College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1871, and resides at Bredwardine vicarage. This parish was amalgamated with Bredwardine for ecclesiastical purposes in 1873, when the nave of the church was pulled down, and the chancel converted by faculty into a mortuary chapel, at a cost of £174, raised by voluntary subscriptions. It was reopened for divine service, February 8th, 1874. The register begins with the year 1786. There are charities of 30s. yearly value. The children of this parish attend Jarvis's charity school at Bredwardine. Scar Rock, by Wye side, is an object of interest. It commands some beautiful and extensive views of a rich agricultural country.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive from Hereford via Letton at 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 5 p.m. Eardisley and Peterchurch are the order offices. Post town Hereford.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Ellis Felix Draper, Esq., farmer and churchwarden, Brobury court
Parsons Thomas, beer retailer, The Trap
Powell James, coal agent, &c., Bridge ho.
Powell Matthew, farmer
Preen Thomas, farmer

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Brobury.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library