Brinsop, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BRINSOP is a parish situated on the main road from Hereford to Kington, about 6 miles N.W. of the former town, 12 S.E. of the latter, 5 S.E. of Weobley, and 1½ N.W. of Credenhill station on the Hereford, Hay, and Brecon branch of the Midland railway, which line passes through the south side of the parish. It is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Yazor polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 145; in 1871, 152; inhabited houses, 30; families or separate occupiers, 32; area of parish, 1,364 acres; annual rateable value, £1,777. David Ricardo, Esq., and Edward William Plowright, Esq., are the principal landowners. The soil is chiefly strong loam and clay; subsoil, limestone; produce, wheat, barley, oats, beans, peas, and roots. The living is a vicarage in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weston; value of rent charge, £107, augmented by Queen Anne's bounty, £95; glebe, 120 acres; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, Rev. William Cecil Fowle, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1866. The church, dedicated to St. George, is a small but interesting edifice dating from the fourteenth century. It was completely restored in 1866-67 at a cost of nearly £900. A beautifully, carved oak reredos was added in 1872 at the expense of the vicar. In the chancel is a stained glass memorial window to the poet Wordsworth, with the following inscription:-

"In memory of William Wordsworth, the Poet Laureate, a frequent sojourner in this parish; the gift of some among the many admirers of his genius and character, A.D. 1873".

There are two marble monuments in the chancel to the memory of members of the Dansey family, formerly of Brinsop court. Over the south door is a nearly obliterated representation of our Saviour on the cross, which was discovered when the church was restored. The earliest register is dated 1691. There are a few small charities. The national school for boys and girls provides accommodation for about 40 children. The Vicarage is a handsome and commodious residence, in the Elizabethan style of architecture. Brinsop Court, a farmhouse situated half a mile N. of the church, is an ancient mansion surrounded by a deep moat. It has evidently been an old monastery. Here stands a beautiful tree that was planted by the poet Wordsworth, who, together with Southey, was a frequent visitor here.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Hereford at 10.30 a.m.; despatched thereto at 3.30 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. George's).- Rev. William Cecil Fowle, M.A., Vicar; Mr. James W. Ford, Churchwarden.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Elizabeth Belcher, Mistress.
Carrier to Hereford.- William Watkins (from Weobley) passes through on Wednesdays and Saturdays about 10 a.m., returning the same days at 7 p.m.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Fowle Rev. William Cecil, M.A., J.P. (vicar), The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Edwards & Hunt, farmers, Brinsop court
Edwards Mrs., farmer and hop grower, White house
Ford James W., farmer, New house
Jones John, miller, Brinsop mill
Lewis Mrs, farmer, Glebe farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Brinsop.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library