Brimfield, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BRIMFIELD,
WITH THE HAMLET OF WYSON.

BRIMFIELD is a parish and village pleasantly situated on the borders of Shropshire and Worcestershire, and adjacent to the river Teme, which here forms part of the boundary. It is distant 4½ miles S. by E. from Ludlow, 4½ W. from Tenbury, 6 N. by E. from Leominster, 19 N, from Hereford, and about ½ mile S.E. from Wofferton junction on the Shrewsbury and Hereford and the Wofferton, Tenbury, and Bewdley railways; is in Wolphy hundred, Tenbury union and county court district, Leominster petty sessional division, and is a polling place for county elections. The population in 1861 was 665; in 1871, 673; inhabited houses, 143; families or separate occupiers, 168; area of parish, 1,842 acres; annual rateable value, £3,454. John Salwey, Esq., is lord of the manor, and the principal landowners are Major Edward M'Laughlin, John Brown Shelton, Esq., John Edmonds, Esq., Humphrey Child, Esq., Captain E. Salwey, Miss Harriet Shenton, and the Rev. George Pinhorn. The soil is clay and loam subsoil, marl; chief produce, corn, hops, roots, and fruit. Brimfield is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford, and rural deanery of Leominster. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, under the provisions of "The District Church Tithes Act, 1865", have created the benefice of Brimfield into a rectory; it is worth £162 yearly, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, including £30 paid by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and £9 by Queen Anne's bounty; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; rector, Rev. George Pinhorn, M.A., of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1832. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a plain structure, with tower containing three bells. It has nave and chancel (which were rebuilt in 1834), organ, font, old register, and a chest. Here was a college of secular canons in the reign of Henry I., but in the year 1155 they turned Benedictine monks, and resigned their lands to the Abbey of Gloucester. There is a National school for boys and girls, under Government inspection. It is a handsome brick building, with residence for the master attached. There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel at Wyson. Brimfield Hall is the residence of Captain E. Salwey. Wyson is a hamlet 1 mile N.W. of the church.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Thomas Cook, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive at 5.20 a.m.; despatched at 8.20 p.m. Money order, post office savings bank, and postal telegraph business transacted at this office. Brimfield being what is termed a Railway Sub-Office, letters should be addressed - Brimfield, R.S.O. (Herefordshire.)
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. George Pinhorn, M.A., Rector; Mr. John Openshaw and Mr. Thomas Tyler, Churchwardens; Charles Bayliss, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. James Wigmore, Master; Mrs. Mary Wigmore, Sewing Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Wyson.- Ministers various.

BRIMFIELD,
WITH THE HAMLET OF WYSON DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Child Humphrey, Esq., Brimfield court
Floyd Captain Ashburnham, Brimfield lodge
Hall Mrs., The Lydiates
Jewell Robert, Esq., Lydiate cottage
M'Laughlin Capt. Edwd., R.A., Lydiates
Pinhorn Rev. George, M.A., J.P.
(rector of Brimfield, and vicar of Ashford Bowdler, Salop), The Rectory
Salway Captain E., Brimfield hall
Shenton Miss Harriet, Manor house
Taylor Mrs., Blake's bridge
Tyler Thomas, Esq., Woodstock house
COMMERCIAL.
Bayliss Chas., wheelwright and parish clerk
Beavan James, farmer, Woodlands
Brown J., farmer and hop grower, The Lydiates
Callow Humphrey, farmer, The Bank
Child Humphrey, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Brimfield court
Cook Thomas, grocer, cooper, and sub-postmaster
Curran Thomas, farm bailiff to Miss H. Shenton, Manor farm
Davies John, landowner, farmer, and hop grower, Highlands
Davies Wm., farmer, Brimfield common
Griffiths Charles and James, engineers and machinists, Roebuck Inn
Hall John, farmer, The Wood
Jewell Robert, crown surveyor of taxes, Lydiate cottage; office, Ludlow
Jones James Brookholden, veterinary surgeon, The Firs
Jones Thomas, mason, Brimfield common
Mainwaring & Openshaw, timber & bark merchts., valuers, & commission agts.
Mainwaring William (firm of Mainwaring & Openshaw), timber mercht. & farmer
Nottingham Benjamin, blacksmith
Nottingham Charles, cottage farmer
Nottingham Ed., carpenter & wheelwright
Nottingham Geo., cottage farmer, Wyson
Oliver John, farmer, The Knapp
Openshaw John (firm of Mainwaring & Openshaw, timber merchants)
Pocock Thos., New Inn butcher, & farmer
Powell Chas., farmer, Bank cottage, Wyson
Powell James, farmer and hop grower, Nunupton
Preece Mrs. H., farmer, Brim field common
Preece Mrs. Mary, farmer, Blakes bridge
Preece Thos., farmer, Upper Drayton
Pugh Richd., farmer, Brimfield common
Robinson John, mason, Brimfield common
Robinson Wm., mason, Brimfield common
Small Benjamin, farmer, Cross farm
Smith James, stonemason
Smith Thomas, mason, Wyson
Steward Thomas, thatcher, Wyson
Taylor John, farmer and hop grower, Lower Drayton
Thorne John, farm bailiff to Barlow & Sons, timber merchants, &c., Rylands
Warrington Thomas, shopkeeper
Webb John, boot and shoe maker
Wigmore James, schoolmaster

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in July 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Brimfield.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library