Bridge Sollers, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BRIDGE SOLERS, otherwise BRIDGE SOLLARS, is a small parish situated on the Hereford and Hay turnpike road, having Offa's Dyke for its western and the river Wye for its southern boundary. It is distant 6 miles W of Hereford, the same distance S. of Weobley, and 14 E. of Hay; is in Grimsworth hundred, Weobley union and petty sessional division, Yazor polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 62; in 1871, 48, inhabited houses, 11; families or separate occupiers, 11; area of parish, 768a. 1r. 36p.; annual rateable value, £1,175. Sir Henry Geers Cotterell, Bart., of Garnons, is lord of the manor and chief owner of the land. Mr. Thomas Springett Large is also a landowner here. The soil is stiff loam upon gravel: and old red sandstone; chief produce, wheat, barley; peas, and roots. In the reign of Henry III., Sir Simon de Brugge was lord of this manor, and being a partisan of Simon Montford, incurred a forfeiture. He was succeeded by another Simon, M.P. for Hereford (16th Edward II.) in the Parliament held at York. Sir John de Brugge served at Agincourt. He was sheriff four years, and M.P. for Hereford in the eighth year of Henry V. The poet Phillips (author of "Cider", a poem, in which he mentions much-loved "Geers's Marsh") was a frequent visitor at the Marsh, in this parish, in the time of Anne. The parish paid £11 8s. 5d. ship-money to Charles I. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Weobley; value; £110, with 15 acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Chancellor; vicar, Rev. Richard Hayward Williams, B.A., of Magdalene College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1866, and resides in Byford parish. The church (St. Andrew's) has been recently restored, the cost being defrayed by a rate granted in 1868, with assistance from the impropriate and appropriate rectors. It is in the Norman and first and second Pointed styles of architecture, and consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, and square tower with two bells. An east window by Powells, of London, was inserted in August 1874. The earliest register is dated 1615. This parish being divided by the Wye, the children attend the schools at Bishopstone, Blakemere, or Madley, as most convenient.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive from Hereford at 8 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6 p.m. Hereford and Madley are the nearest money order offices. Hereford is the nearest telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Andrew's).- Rev. Richard Hayward Williams, B.A., Vicar; Mr. William Blashill, Churchwarden; James Evans, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(None listed)
COMMERCIAL.
Blashill William, farmer, The Knapp
Edwards Charles T., farmer, Marsh farm
Evans James, parish clerk
Large Thos. Springett, farmer, The Court
Lawrence Mrs. Mary, Salmon Inn

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/BridgeSollers.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library