Breinton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BREINTON is a parish and scattered village delightfully situated on an eminence bordering on the river Wye, which bounds the parish on the southern side. It is distant 3 miles W.S.W. from Hereford, and is in Grimsworth hundred, Hereford union, county court district, polling district, highway district, and petty sessional division. A small portion of this parish is within the parliamentary and municipal boundary of the city of Hereford. The population in 1861 was 398; in 1871, 445; inhabited houses, 90; families or separate occupiers, 104; area of parish, 1,568 acres; annual rateable value, £3,980. The principal landowners are Edmund James Lewis, Esq., John Cranston, Esq., Frederick Platt, Esq., Miss Anne Parry, Mrs. J.E. Jones, and Messrs. Thomas. The soil is gravel and clay; subsoil, clay; chief crops, wheat, barley, oats, and fruit. At King's Acre, in this parish, distant about 2¼ miles from the city of Hereford, are the extensive nursery-grounds belonging to Messrs. Cranston and Mayos. The "Kings Acre nurseries" have been established nearly a century, and rank among the first in the kingdom for the production of roses. Breinton is inn the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a vicarage; value, £139, with residence and 3 acres of glebe; also an annual augmentation of 1121 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, Rev. John Joseph Lomax, M.A., of Trinity College, Dublin, who was instituted in 1875. The church (St. Michael's) consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with spire at the west end containing two bells. The north aisle was added and the chancel rebuilt in 1867, under the superintendence of F.R. Kempson, Esq., architect, of Hereford; total cost, £1,950. The floors are laid with encaustic tiles, and the east window is of stained glass representing the Crucifixion. At the entrance to the churchyard is a lych-gate. The parish registers begin with the year 1625. There are charities producing about £9 per annum. The national school at Lower Breinton was opened in January 1855; average attendance of boys and girls, about 30. Here is a chapel and school, the latter of which is applied to the education of 40 children, and endowed by Lady Southampton. Adjoining the King's Acre nurseries is a reading-room, formerly the Coach and Horses Inn, now used chiefly by the workmen employed by Messrs. Cranston and Mayos.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford, and are delivered by messenger about 7.15 a.m. The wall letter-box at King's Acre is cleared at 6.15 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Michael's).- Rev. John Joseph Lomax, M.A., Vicar; George Henry Proctor, Esq., Churchwarden; Thomas Probert, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls), Lower Breinton.- Miss Harriette Jane Edwards, Mistress.
Lady Southampton's School, Breinton common.- Mr. Rowlands, Master.
Lady Southampton's Chapel, Breinton common.- Ministers various.
Reading-Room, King's Acre.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Adams Mr. William, Calvaria cottage, King's Acre
Cranston John, Esq., King's Acre
Docking John, Esq., Breinton house
Du Buisson Mrs., Breinton court
Evans Wm. B., Esq., J.P., Swainshall
Jones Mrs. J.E., Springfield house
Lewis Edmd. Jas., Esq., Wye Cliffe house
Lomax Rev. John Joseph, M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Parry Miss Anne, Warham house
Pritchard Mr. J., Veldiver lo., King's Acre
Proctor George Hy., Esq., Clifford house, King's Acre
Purton Mr. Edwd. Josiah, Cherry orchard
Thompson Wm., Esq., Breinton lodge
COMMERCIAL.
CRANSTON & MAYOS, nursery men, seedsmen, and florists, King's Acre
nurseries; seed warehouse, Herefordshire Club buildings, Hereford
Cranston John (firm of Cranston & Mayos), King's Acre
Daw James, blacksmith, King's Acre
Edwards Wm., farmer, Upper Breinton
Edwards Miss Harriette J., schoolmrs.
Hare Mr., farm bailiff for Frederick Platt, Esq., Upper Breinton and Pigeon house farms
Herbert Henry, nursery foreman for Messrs. Cranston & Mayos, Nursery cot.
Hill George, farm bailiff for Edmund J. Lewis, Esq., Wye Cliffe farm
Jenkins William, farmer, King's Acre
Mayos Thomas Lea (firm of Cranston & Mayos), King's Acre nurseries; res., White Crossroad, Hereford
Morris Rich., shopkeeper, Breinton com.
Pardington George, farmer, Hill farm; res., Helmer hall, near Hereford
Phillips John, farmer and cider mercht., Holly lodge, King's Acre
Powell Edwin, farmer, Warham court
Probert Thomas, carpenter, wheelwright, and parish clerk
Rowlands Mr., schoolmaster, Breinton common
Savage Mrs. Ann, farmer, Warham farm
Williams John, farmer, Swainshall farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Breinton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library