Bredenbury, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BREDENBURY, or BRIDENBURY, is a small parish situated on the main road between Bromyard and Leominster, and distant 3½ miles W. of Bromyard (where a railway will be opened in 1877), 8½ E. of Leominster, and 14 N.E. of Hereford; is in Broxash hundred, Bromyard union, petty sessional division, and county court district, and Docklow polling district. The population in 1861 was 52; in 1871, 60; inhabited houses, 8; families or separate occupiers, 8; area of parish, 545 acres; annual rateable value, £733. W. Henry Barneby, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey, and in some parts loamy; subsoil, clay and rock; chief produce, wheat, beans, hops, fruit; and pasture. Bredenbury is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of North Froome; living, a rectory; value, £120, with 18 acres of glebe; patron, W. Henry Barneby, Esq.; rector, Rev. Charles Bridges, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, who was instituted in 1874, and resides at Grendon Bishop. A new church, on an enlarged plan, is now in course of erection for the accommodation of the parishes of Bredenbury and Wacton, which have been recently united for ecclesiastical purposes (under 1 and 2 Vict., c.106). The site, which is near the new schools, was given by W. Henry Barneby, Esq. The former church stood in the grounds of Bredenbury court, and much of the materials has been used in the new building. The work is being carried out by Mr. George Rouse of Bromyard. A school board was appointed in 1874 for the united district of Bredenbury, Grendon Bishop, and Wacton, and school accommodation for 69 children, provided at a cost of £1,000, which sum included fittings and other extras. The site and stone were given by W. Henry Barneby, Esq. There is a good furnished residence attached for the master. A Sunday school for religious instruction is supported by voluntary subscription. There is also a district lending library. Bredenbury Court, the residence of W. Henry Barneby, Esq., J.P., D.L., has recently undergone extensive additions and improvement, and is now one of the most beautiful seats in the county. It commands a delightful view of the Malvern hills and adjacent scenery. The alterations were carried out under the superintendence of Mr. Thomas H. Wyatt, architect, of London, and the grounds were laid out by Mr. Edward Milner of Sydenham.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received from Worcester via Bromyard, and arrive from the latter place by rural messenger. The wall letter-box is cleared at 4.30 p.m. There is no collection on Sundays. Bromyard is the nearest money order and telegraph office. Letters, &c., should be addressed-Bredenbury, Bromyard, Worcester.
Parish Church.- Rev. Charles Bridges, M.A., Rector; W. Henry Barneby, Esq., Churchwarden.
Board School (boys and girls).- Mr. Joseph Pulpher, Master; Miss Pulpher, Sewing Mistress.
Grendon Bishop; Bredenbury, and Wacton United School Board.- (The election of members took place July 20th, 1874.) William Henry Barneby, Esq., J.P. (Chairman), Mr. Edward Timings (Vice-Chairman), Rev. Charles Bridges, M.A., Mr. Tracey Lane, and Mr. Thomas Minifie. Clerk and Treasurer, Henry Nicholls Knott, Esq., solicitor, Bromyard.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Barneby William Henry, Esq., J.P., D.L., Bredenbury court; & Junior Carlton, & Naval, and Military clubs, London, S.W.
COMMERCIAL.
Corbett Edmund, farmer, Red Hill farm
Elliott Charles, head gardener for W.H. Barneby, Esq., J.P., D.L., The Lodge
Grimble Thos., farmer, The Manor farm
Knowles Wm., farmer, Bolter's close
Pulpher Joseph, master of Board school
Ward G., farmer and hop grower, Wicton

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Bredenbury.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library