Bolstone, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BOLSTONE, or BOULSTONE, is a small parish intersected by the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway, and distant about 2 miles S.W. of the Holme Lacy station on that line, 7 S.S.E. of Hereford, and 8 N.W. of Ross. It is in Wormelow hundred (upper division), Fownhope polling district, Hereford union and county court district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 61; in 1871, 55; inhabited houses, 13; families or separate occupiers, 13; area of parish, 653 acres; annual rateable value, £700. Sir Henry Edwyn Chandos Scudamore-Stanhope, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clayey; chief crops, wheat, barley, oats, and roots. The parish of Bolstone has been detached from Holme Lacy and united to Ballingham for ecclesiastical purposes (under 1 and 2 Vict., c.106). The living is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield; joint value, £260, including 63 acres of glebe; patron, Sir Henry E.C. Scudamore-Stanhope, Bart.; vicar, Rev. Alexander G. Jones, B.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge, who resides at the new vicarage house at Ballingham. The church stands near the farmyard of Bolstone court, and is about to be restored under the superintendence of William E. Martin, Esq., architect, of Hereford. It has nave, chancel, and low tower containing two bells. The register begins with the year 1765. The children from this parish attend the national school at Ballingham.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Ross. Fownhope and Hoarwithy are the nearest money order offices. Hereford is the nearest telegraph office. Post town, Ross.
Parish Church.- Rev. A.G. Jones, B.A., Vicar; J. Smith, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Garrold Mr. Richard, Killforge
COMMERCIAL.
Carter Thomas, farmer, Ganna farm
Coleman Roynan, farmer, New house
Dallow Thomas, farmer, Killforge farm
Froggatt Henry Francis, farmer, Bolstone court
Smith John, parish clerk
Walker William, wheelwright

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Bolstone.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library