Blakemere, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BLAKEMERE, or BLAKKMERE, is a parish and village situated on the Hereford and Hay turnpike road, distant 11 miles W. of the former town and 10 E. of the latter; is in Webtree hundred, Weobley union, Bredwardine petty sessional division, Madley polling district, and Hereford county court district. The population in 1861 was 175; in 1871, 186; inhabited houses, 43; families or separate occupiers, 44; area of parish, 1,127 acres; annual rateable value, £1,600. The Rev. Sir George Henry Cornewall, Bart., of Moccas court, is lord of the manor. Robert Henry Lee-Warner, Esq., of Tyberton court, Henry Haywood, Esq., of Blakemere house, and John Mathews, Esq., of Woodland house, are the chief landowners. The soil is sandy, producing wheat, barley, oats, and roots. Blakemere living is a vicarage in the diocese, arcbdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; it is united with Preston-on-Wye; joint value, £166, with residence and 54 acres of glebe, also £98 from land in other parishes; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; vicar, Rev. Andrew Pope, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1873. A new vicarage house has been recently erected. The church (St. Leonard's) is in great need of restoration; it has chancel, nave, porch, font, and small tower. The earliest register is dated 1600. There is a national school for this parish and Preston-on-Wye; it is under Government inspection, and has an average attendance of 35.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Hereford. The letter-box is cleared at 4 p.m. Madley and Peterchurch are the nearest money order offices. Post town, Hereford.
Parish Church (St. Leonard's).- Rev. Andrew Pope, M.A., Vicar; Mr. C.J.P. Nash, Churchwarden; John Williams, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. John Lewis, Master.
Carrier to Hereford.- George Pugh (from the Green, Preston-on-Wye), every Wednesday and Saturday; stops at the Lord Nelson Inn, West street, Hereford, and returns the same days.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Haywood Henry, Esq., Blakemere house
Mathews John, Esq., Woodland house
Nash Mr. C.J.P., Rose bank
Pope Rev. A., M.A. (vicar of Preston-on-Wye with Blakemere), The Vicarage
COMMERCIAL.
Ambury Jas., farmer, Lower Blakemere
Davies John, farmer, Church farm
Griffiths Thomas, shopkeeper and brick maker
Haywood Henry, farmer, hop grower, and landowner; agent to the Rev. Sir George Henry Cornewall, Bart., and other landed proprietors, Blakemere house
Howells Charles, boot and shoe maker
Jackson Thomas, carpenter, wheelwright, blacksmith, and machinist, Holywell
Lewis John, master of National school
Mathews John, farmer and landowner, Woodland house
Saunders William, tailor, Holywell
Williams James, mason, Holywell
Williams John, mason, &c., Holywell
Yeomans John, farmer, Kinley and Lower Moccas farms

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Blakemere.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library