Ballingham, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

BALLINGHAM is a parish bounded on the east and south by the beautiful river Wye, distant 7 miles N. from Ross, 9 S.S.E. from Hereford, and about 3 from Holme Lacy, and 2½ from Fawley railway stations. The parish is intersected by the Hereford; Ross, and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway. It is in Wormelow hundred (upper division), Fownhope polling district, Ross union and county court district, and Harewood End petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 168; in 1871, 172; inhabited houses, 40; families or separate occupiers, 45; area of parish, 840 acres; annual rateable value, £1,397. Chandos Wren Hoskyns, Esq., is lord of the manor, and with Sir Henry Edwyn Chandos Scudamore-Stanhope, Bart., owns the land. The chief crops are wheat, barley, hops, &c. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Archenfield. The parishes of Ballingham and Bolstone are now united for ecclesiastical purposes (under 1 and 2 Vict., c.106), and a new vicarage has been recently erected. The living is worth about £260 yearly (including the rent of 63 acres of glebe); patron, Sir Henry E.C. Scudamore-Stanhope, Bart.; vicar, Rev. Alexander G. Jones, B.A., of Queen's College, Cambridge, who was instituted in 1872. The earliest register is dated 1588. The church, dedicated to St. Dubricius, is a small Gothic edifice, with tower containing three bells, surmounted by a very neat and proportionate spire. Here is a national school for the children of Ballingham and Bolstone; average attendance, 31. The scenery in this neighbourhood is very fine, and a most commanding prospect is obtained of the winding course of the Wye, from an eminence called Ballingham hill.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Miss Mary Ann Tyler, Sub-Postmistress. Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 9 am.; despatched thereto at 5.15 p.m. Hoarwithy and Fownhope are the nearest money order offices. Ross is the telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Dubricius).- Rev. Alexander G. Jones, B.A., Vicar; Mr. William Till, Churchwarden; John Williams, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mrs. Annie Williams, Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Jones Rev. Alexander G., B.A. (vicar of Ballingham with the chapelry of Bolstone), The Vicarage
Wheeler Mr. Richard
COMMERCIAL.
Bullock Wm., blacksm. & parish constab.
Edwards Joseph John, farmer and hop grower, Ballingham court
Edwards Richard, Miners' Arms Inn
Ford William, carpenter
Morris William, shopkeeper
Pearce George, shopkeeper
Preece Amos, mason
Smyth Thomas, farmer, Rock farm
Till William, farmer, Ballingham hall
Tyler Miss Mary Ann, sub-postmistress and shopkeeper, Post office
Wellington John, tailor
Williams Mrs. Annie, schoolmistress
Williams John, parish clerk

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Ballingham.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library