Aylton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

AYLTON is a small parish distant 6 miles W. of Ledbury, in Radlow hundred, Much Marcle polling district, Ledbury union, county court district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 89; in 1871, 112; inhabited houses, 20; families or separate occupiers, 21; area of parish, 816a. 3r. 35p.; annual rateable value, £1,369. The Right Hon. Earl Somers is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clayey, growing wheat, beans, hops, &c. The living is a rectory in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; value, £124, with 23 acres of glebe; patron, Robert William Dacre Harley, Esq.; rector, Rev. William John Morrish, M.A., Magdalen Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1869, and resides at Ledbury. The church is a little plain building with low tower containing one bell. It stands on a mound. The children of this parish attend the school at Little Marcle.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters are received through Ledbury, which is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church.- Rev. William John Morrish, M.A., Rector; Mr. James Mutlow, Churchwarden; William East, Parish Clerk.
PRIVATE RESIDENT.
Birchley Miss, Yew-Tree cottage
COMMERCIAL.
Cowles Samuel, farmer, Aylton court
Davies Thomas, farmer, hop grower, and landowner, White house
Downie Donald, gamekeeper for Thomas Holland, Esq. (of Malvern Link)
Howard John, horse dealer
Lewis Thos., frmr., Glebeland; res., Putley
Mutlow James, farmer, Castle farm
Restell T., frmr. and hop gr., Prior's court
Turner James, farmer, Jacob's Lays and Rowland Green farms
Williams Mrs., farmer, Court farm

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Aylton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library