Aston Ingham, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

ASTON INGHAM is a parish and village situated on the borders of Gloucestershire, 6 miles E. of Ross, 11 N.W. of Gloucester, 3 W. of Newent, and about 2 from Mitcheldean Road station on the Hereford, Ross, and Gloucester branch of the Great Western railway. It is in Greytree hundred, Newent union and county court district, Linton polling district, and Ross petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 568; in 1871, 556; inhabited houses, 124; families or separate occupiers, 135; area of parish, 2,378a. 0r. 5p.; annual rateable value, £3,230 5s. Captain Kingsmill Manley Power, of Hill court, Ross, is lord of the manor. The chief landowners are Captain Power, Rev. H.L. Whatley, S.T. Howell, Esq., Thomas Holland, Esq., Mrs. E. Garrold, and William Dew, Esq. The soil is red sandy loam; subsoil, red brick earth and rock; chief crops, wheat, beans, and roots. May Hill, in this parish, commands delightful and uninterrupted views of Gloucester, the Severn, and surrounding country. It is also the mariner's landmark for the Irish Sea and Bristol Channel. On the summit is a clump of fir-trees, which has a very singular appearance when seen from a distance, from the otherwise barren appearance of the hill.

Aston Ingham is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of Ross; living, a rectory; value, £350, with residence and 102 acres of glebe; patron and rector, Rev. Henry Lawson Whatley, B.A., of University College, Durham, who was instituted in 1873. The church is a plain stone edifice, with nave, chancel, porch, and tower containing four bells. Two monuments have been lately erected by the Garrold family. A new schoolroom was erected in 1874 at a cost of £253, raised by voluntary rate from the landowners. The old schoolroom is converted into a classroom. The average attendance of boys and girls is about 60. The Rev. Christopher Stock, rector of this parish in 1662, bequeathed charities as follows: house and garden, value £10; and £10 to the school, payable out of the Great Woodends estate, in the parish of Linton; and a meadow called "Stockings", in the parish of Newent, producing £10 yearly, for the repair and adorning of the church. The late Richard Garrold, Esq., left £100 in the Three per Cents., the interest to be laid out in bread for the poor, to be distributed on Candlemas Day by the rector and churchwardens. A legacy of £100, for the benefit of the school, was left by the late Charles John Garrold, Esq., of Linton Point. Aston House is the property and residence of Stephen Thomas Howell, Esq. Aston Crews is a hamlet distant 1 mile west. Coldridge was occupied by the Romans.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ross at 9 a.m. The wall letter-box at Aston Crews is cleared at 4.30 p.m. on week days only. Linton and Weston are the nearest money order offices. Newent and Mitcheldean are the nearest telegraph offices. Post town, Ross.
Parish Church.- Rev. Henry Lawson Whatley, B.A., Rector; Stephen Thomas Howell, Esq., and Mr. Samuel Jackson, Churchwardens; John Preedy, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Miss Mary H. Marsh Mistress.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Garrold Mrs. Elizabeth, Linton point
Higgins William, Esq., Rose villa
Howell Stephen Thos., Esq., Aston ho.
Marsh Dr., Hill house
Whatley Rev. Henry Lawson, B.A. (rector), The Rectory
COMMERCIAL.
Aubrey Joseph, shopkeeper
Aubrey Thomas, cottage farmer
Baker William, carpenter & wheelwright
Davis Thomas, farmer, May hill
Dew Walter, farmer, The Hill and Coldridge farms
Griffiths -, farmer, Great Giles farm
Hardwick Henry, farmer
Harrison Henry, farmer, Lower Barrell and Upper Blakemore farms
Higgins Thomas, farmer, Knight's hill; Thomas Lloyd, bailiff
Holder Samson, sen., farmer, Aston court
Holder Samson, farmer, Lower Coldridge
Jackson Samuel, farmer, Oatfield farm
Lloyd Thos., farm bailiff, Knight's hill
Little Enoch, White Hart Inn, farmer & butcher, Aston Crews
Little James, miller and farmer, Aston Ingham mill
Lodge William, farmer, Withymoor
Loveridge William, farmer, Warren farm
Marsh Miss Mary H., schoolmistress
Morgan Daniel, glazier and paperhanger
Morgan Thos., cot. farmer, Frogs bottom
Nelmes Joseph, farmer, Upper Barrell
Palmer Ph., carpr., wheelwr., & beer retlr.
Pearce George, Crown Inn, and shop-keeper, Aston Crews
Polson Thomas, stonecutter and mason
Pontifex Richard, farmer, the Hay and Perry's farms
Preedy John, shoemaker and parish clerk
Pritchard William, shopkeeper
Sterry Thomas, thatcher
Whittaker George, farmer, May hill
Wood Mrs., cottage farmer, Little Giles
Young Edward, nail maker

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/AstonIngham.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library