Ashperton, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2002

ASHPERTON is a parish with a railway station on the Hereford and Worcester branch of the Great Western railway, distant 6 miles N.W. of Ledbury, and 9 E. of Hereford; is in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union, county court district, and petty sessional division, and Tarrington polling district. The population in 1861 was 534; in 1871, 492; inhabited houses, 99; families or separate occupiers, 123; area of parish, 1,715a. 2r. 26p.; annual rateable value, £2,866. John Hopton, Esq., of Canon Ffroome court, is the chief landowner. The soil is very fertile, and wheat, beans, hops, and fruit are grown. The Hereford and Gloucester canal intersects the parish. The living is in the diocese and archdeaconry of Hereford and rural deanery of South Froome; it is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Stretton Grandison; joint annual value, £620, with residence; patron, John Hopton, Esq.; vicar, Rev. John Buckle, M.A., of St. Mary Hall, Oxford, who was instituted in 1859. The church of St. Bartholomew is a plain cruciform structure, with large chancel of exceedingly pleasing proportions, rebuilt in 1840 at a cost of £640. It has a square castellated tower containing four bells. The earliest register is dated 1537. The national school was erected in 1856, and was enlarged in 1874, on the requisition of the Educational Department, at an expense of £155, to provide accommodation for 152 children. It is under a certificated master; number of children on the books, 130; average attendance, 100. It is now the public elementary school for the parishes of Ashperton, Canon Ffroome, Munsley, Pixley, and Parkhold.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Letters arrive by messenger from Ledbury about 9 a.m.; despatched thereto at 4.40 p.m. The wall letter-box at Blacklands is cleared at 4.20 p.m. on week days only. Tarrington is the nearest money order office. Postal telegrams may be sent from Stoke Edith railway station. Post town, Ledbury.
Parish Church (St. Bartholomew's).- Rev. John Buckle, M.A., Incumbent; Rev. Robert Wade-Gery, M.A., Curate; Messrs. James Pudge and George Burgwyn, Churchwardens; John Chamberlain, Parish Clerk.
Public Elementary School (boys and girls).- Mr. James Morgan, Master; Mrs. Rosa Morgan, Mistress.
Railway Station (West Midland section of Great Western Railway).- Mr. W.H. Powell, Station Master.
Carrier to Ledbury.- John Hill, every Tuesday; stops at the New Inn, Homend street, and returns at 5 p.m.
Carrier to Worcester.- William Parsons, every Friday; stops at the Prince of Wales Inn, Shrub hill, Worcester; and returns on Saturday at 4 p.m.
Ashperton Agricultural Society.- Richard Homes, Esq., Secretary.
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Buckle Rev. John, M.A., J.P. (vicar of Stretton Grandison with the chapelry
of Ashperton; chairman of the guardians of Ledbury union), The Parsonage
Treherne Henry, Esq., Lower town
Williams Mr. Charles, Gazerdine house
Wright Mr. Joseph, The Verzons
COMMERCIAL.
Abel John, farmer, Vicarage farm
Burgwyn George, beer retailer (Box-Bush Inn) and shopkeeper
Chamberlain John, basket maker, assistant overseer, and parish clerk
Dutson John, wheelwright and farmer, Little Verzons
Dutson William, builder, and building agent for John Hopton, Esq. (of Canon Ffroome court), Blacklands
Fenn Thomas, tailor, Woodsend
Fincher Thos., shopkpr. and cottage farm.
Freeman Thomas, farmer
Hill John, carrier to Ledbury
Lane Richard, farmer, Tuston's farm
Magness Joseph William, blacksmith and engineer, Ashperton green
Matthews Chas., shopkeeper, Blacklands
Meats John, coal merchant, &c., depôt at Railway station; res., Colwall court, Malvern
Morgan James, schoolmaster
Palmer James, farmer, Woodsend
Parsons William, birch-broom maker, barm dealer, and carrier to Worcester
Philpott Thomas, farmer, Hausnett
Pitt William, farmer, Wassington
Poole Thos., spade-tree manufacturer, and coal and timber merchant, Canal wharf
Powell W.H., station-master, Raily. sta.
Pudge James, farmer, Moorend
Pullen Elisha, wheelwright, Peace croft
Pye William, boot and shoe maker
Taylor Thomas, farmer, Lower town
Treherne Henry, farmer and landowner, Lower town
Withey Thomas Archer, solicitor's clerk, Nutfield villa
Wright Joseph, farmer and landowner, The Verzons

OCR/Transcription by Rosemary Lockie in June 2002.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Ashperton.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library