Allensmore, Herefordshire

Extract from Littlebury's Directory and Gazetteer of Herefordshire, 1876-7
with Private and Commercial Residents

Transcribed by Marion B. Wilkinson, © Copyright 2001

ALLENSMORE,
WITH HUNGERSTONE, COBHALL, AND WINNALL.

ALLENSMORE is an extensive and populous parish, consisting of the places above named, and situated on the main road from Hereford to Abergavenny and Ross. It is distant 4 miles S.W. of Hereford, 13 W.N.W. of Ross, and about 2 N.W. of Tram Inn station of the Newport, Abergavenny, and Hereford branch of the Great Western railway (West Midland section). It is in Webtree hundred, Madley polling district, Hereford union, county court district, and petty sessional division. The population in 1861 was 612; in 1871, 603; inhabited houses, 147; families or separate occupiers, 158; area of parish, 1,959 acres; annual rateable value, £4,227. Evan Pateshall, Esq., M.P., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Miss Bevan, Mr. William Batt, Mr. J. Jones, Mr. Merriman, &c., are also landowners here. The soil is gravel; subsoil, marl; chief crops, wheat, barley, fruit, and roots. Allensmore is in the diocese, archdeaconry, and rural deanery of Hereford; living, a discharged vicarage; value £330, with residence and 4½ acres of glebe; patron, the Lord Bishop of Hereford; vicar, Rev. James Elliot Grasett, of Bishop Hatfield's Hall, Durham, who was instituted in 1867.

The parish church is an ancient stone edifice in the Gothic style, dedicated to St. Andrew, and consists of nave, chancel, porch (rebuilt in 1857), and square tower containing a peal of six bells. A stained glass window was placed on the north side of the church in 1857 to the memory of Miss Elizabeth and Miss Eliza Symonds; subjects, Faith, Hope, and Charity; and in 1868, to the memory of the Rev. H.P. Symonds, a former landowner in this parish; subjects, the Resurrection and Ascension of our Lord. The east window is also shortly to be filled with stained glass to the memory of the wife of Rev. J.E. Grasett, vicar; subjects, Christ blessing little children, the Sermon on the Mount, and Christ healing the sick. The register begins with the year 1771. A new school was built in 1870 for 100 children. The site was given by Evan Pateshall, Esq., M.P., and the total cost of building was about £800. The school is under Government inspection; average attendance, 65. Allensmore Court is the seat of Evan Pateshall, Esq., M.P. for the city of Hereford. Hungerstone is a township distant 1 mile S.W. from the village of Allensmore. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. Cobhall and Winnall are hamlets. The remains of a moat still surround Meer court, which is an ancient farmhouse. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel at Cobhall.

POSTAL REGULATIONS.- Mrs. Boulter, Sub-Postmistress. Letters arrive from Hereford at 7.45 a.m.; despatched thereto at 6 p.m. Hereford is the nearest money order and telegraph office and post town.
Parish Church (St. Andrew's).- Rev. James Elliot Grasett, Vicar; Evan Pateshall, Esq., M.P., and Mr. Philip Williams, Churchwardens; Thomas Cook, Parish Clerk.
National School (boys and girls).- Mr. George Manser, Master; Mrs. Jane Manser, Mistress.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Cobhall.- Ministers various.
Wesleyan Chapel, Hungerstone.- Ministers various.
Carrier to Hereford.- Lucy Powell (from Abbey Dore) passes through on Wednesdays and Saturdays at 9 a.m., and returns about 6 p.m.

ALLENSMORE,
WITH HUNGERSTONE, COBHALL, AND WINNALL DIRECTORY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Berrow Miss, Webtree cottage
Dean Elijah Henry, Esq., Winnall hall
Eckley Miss, Cobhall villa
Elliott Mrs., Webtree
Grasett Rev. James Elliot (vicar), the Vicarage
Pateshall Evan, Esq., M.P. (for the city of Hereford), J.P. and D.L., Allensmore court, & Carlton club, London, S.W.
COMMERCIAL.
Bemand Thomas, farmer, Village farm
Berrow John, farmer, Cobhall
Berrow Mrs., farmer, Smalbrook
Berrow Thomas, farmer, Mawfield
Berrow William, farmer, Green farm
Boulter Mrs., sub-postmistress, Post office
Bray James, farmer, Hungerstone
Brown Reuben, shopkeeper, Winnall
Carless Charles, farmr. & butchr., Winnall
Carpenter Edward, farmer, Cobhall
Cook Thomas, parish clerk
Dance William, farmer, Wallbrook
Davies Samuel, farmer, Church house
Davies Wm., farmer, White ho., Winnall
Dean Elijah Henry, farmer, Winnall hall
Downing W., farmer, Gethenfield
Farr John, farmer, Smallbrook
Griffiths David, farmer, Winnall
Halford John, farmer, Cobhall court
Hancocks Henry, farmer, Hungerstone
Hodges John, farmer, Winnall
Huggins Charles, farmer, Cobhall
Johnson John, wheelwright, &c.
Jones James, tailor, Cobhall
Jones Mrs., farmer, Winnall
Jones William, tailor and shopkeeper
Lambert John, shoemaker, Cobhall
Lewis James W.B., farmer, Meer court
Lewis John, farmer, Boilfield
Mackling William, shoemaker, Cobhall
Manser George, schoolmaster
Mattey William, butcher, Cobhall
Merrick William, farmer, Pool cottage
Morgan Mrs., Cherry Tree Inn
Parry Charles, farmer, Yew Tree cottage
Perkins James, Pelican Inn, & blacksmith
Phillips John, farmer, Winnall
Powell Mrs., shopkeeper
Powell Thomas, farmer, Winnall court
Powell Thomas, farmer, Lower Mawfield
Preece Mrs., farmer, Trap house
Preece Richd., cooper, Hangman's green
Rudge John, blacksmith
Symonds Geo., thrashing-machine propr.
Taylor John, mason and cottage farmer
Watkins John, farmer, Winnall
Watkins Thomas, thrashing-machine proprietor, Ivy cottage
Weaver J., haulier and cottage farmer, Court blocks
Williams Philip, farmer, Building farm

Transcription by Marion Wilkinson in June 2001.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Littlebury1876/Allensmore.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library