The History and Antiquities of Eyam

By William Wood (1903)

Transcriptions by Andrew McCann, © Copyright 1999

BRADSHAW HALL

The building which is now known at Eyam as the “Old” or “Bradshaw Hall”, stands on rising ground at the north-west extremity of the village, and was erected at the eastern end of the old Stafford Hall, probably by Francis, great-grandson of Francis Bradshaw, who married Ann, the daughter and co-heiress of Humphrey Stafford, some time before the breaking out of the plague; when, or just before, it is said, the Bradshaws left Eyam for Brampton, Yorkshire, and never returned to Eyam to reside permanently. Bradshaw Hall was left unfinished; it was erected in the Tudor or Elizabethan style.

The courses in the walls are of Moorland sandstone, eight inches in thickness, the masonry extremely good. The windows on the ground floor which light the principal apartments are large. There are two in either front - south and east, divided by mullions and transomes. The windows have labelled heads with knees. On a circular stone in the centre of the upper tier of windows in the south front, is carved in bold relief the crest of the Bradshaws: “a stag at gaze p.p.r standing under a vine fructured p.p.r”. The interior contains a noble fireplace, the mantels and jambs recessed and enriched with a deeply indented moulding. The whole is now greatly dilapidated and used as a barn. It was erected as a modern appendage to the old Hall of the Staffords. It was intended to be hung with tapestry. Within the recollection of the last generation the tapestry lay in a heap in certain corners where it rotted away.

The notorious Judge Bradshaw was of this family; his grandfather went from Bradshaw Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, to Wyberslegh, near Marple, Cheshire, where the regicide was born. It may not be generally known that the mother of Judge Bradshaw was related to Milton.

That portion of the pedigree of the Bradshaws connected especially with Eyam will be sufficient for the present purpose.[1]

Eaglesfield Smith (the above) had issue:-

Eaglesfield Bradshaw Smith of Blackwood House, Ecclesfeccan, N.B., is the surviving representative of this branch of the Staffords, Bradshaws, and Galliards, and now the owner of their patrimony at Eyam, &c. He married Elizabeth Macdowal Walker, of Liverpool [†]; and has issue-

Mary, daughter and co-heiress of Pierce Galliard, inherited Bradshaw Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, with the manor or Lordship of Abney. She married Charles Bowles, Esq., of Radcliffe, County Middlesex.

The Brays of Eyam were a family of some importance, the first now known was a Thomas Bray, of Eyam, who married early in the seventeenth century, Ellen, daughter of John Alton, M.D., Nottingham.

The only allusion to the family of Bray in the Register at Eyam is the following:

“Mr. Bray, buried 1640”.

The old mansion known as Eyam Hall was in its original state the residence of the Brays of Eyam. It was purchased by the Wrights from the Brays or their representatives about the middle of the seventeenth century. A new front was erected and other alterations made about 1680. In the interior, on some wainscoting, there are inscribed the initials, F.B. and J.B., with the date 1594 or 6. The exterior contains an inverted stone with the initials M.B., besides other mementoes of the Brays of Eyam.

Note
[1] An ample pedigree of the Bradshaws generally, will be found in an article “Bradshaw Hall, Eyam”, by P. Furness, Reliquary, vol.1. [Ed: q.v. ‘On the Bradshaws and Staffords of Eyam’, elsewhere online]

Next Chapter => ILLUSTRATIONS

This information was transcribed by Andrew McCann in May 1999.

[†] Additional Information
i. ‘Elizabeth Macdowal Walker’ is believed to be incorrect, and in fact according to the IGI, an Eaglesfield Bradshaw SMITH married an Elizabeth Macdonald LOCKHART on 30 Aug 1838 at Braddan, on the Isle Of Man. The Will of Norman LOCKHART (1853), taken from the Scottish Archives, refers to his daughter Elizabeth Macdonald, wife of Eaglesfield Bradshaw SMITH Esquire, of Blackwood House.
[Information kindly supplied by Shirley Lockhart, 28 Nov 2004]
ii. The sasine dated 15 August 1855 when David Souter ROBERTSON bought Tarbrax Estate from the trustees of Norman LOCKHART refers to “Eaglesfield Bradshaw Smith Esquire of Blackwood House in the County of Dumfries”.
[Information kindly supplied by Gideon Riddell, 11 Jan 2005]

See also the article elsewhere online - On the Bradshaws and Staffords of Eyam, - by Peter Furness, Esq., published in The Reliquary in 1861.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/EyamHistory/BradshawHall.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library