History of the Village of Stoney Middleton

By Thomas E. Cowen (1910)

Transcriptions by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2003

History of the Village of Stoney MiddletonWALKS AROUND MIDDLETON

WALKS AROUND MIDDLETON.

'Stoney Middleton is not likely to be a place for trade, but for many reasons it may be a place to visit, for health, for rest, for scenery, and for the study of Nature in hill and dale, mountain and moor in the district. So the antiquary may here have ample grounds for the study of prehistoric houses, and tors, and of Saxon haunts.

'In fact, Stoney Middleton is a place well worthy of a visit, and a sojourn. Geologists know that well, for here is the first and oldest seam of coal known, betwixt two limestone beds. It occurs in a fault found near to the Ball Inn.'

The Village can be approached from Calver either through the leafy 'Middleton Avenue' or through the Meadows that enclose The Hall. A turn to the right in the third meadow, through the gorse, locally called 'Cobbler Patch', will bring the tourist to Knouchley Farm, from whence a good view of the surrounding country can be obtained. We may, however, continue our way through the meadows by the brook side, past the Roman Baths, and into the Nook, Another venue is from Eyam New Road via the Old Lane.

'COOMBES' DALE', a lovely valley, S.W. of the village, is the rendezvous of tourist and botanist in the Summer. It is approached by way of Vicarage Lane. A turn on the right near Dimple Pump leads through three fields, and the last stile opens out a pretty dale to our view. On the opposite side

[Page 52]

is Scotch Bank. We can descend the valley and proceed up the Dale to the Sandhills (the residue of the Salade Hole mine), or we can turn to the left and come down the lane, unfortunately cut up by carts, which have been removing sands for shipment to America. This lane leads into Calver Lane.

LONGSTONE MOOR is worthy of notice, and is approached by way of Highfields. We pass a Lime Kiln on the left, and there is abundant evidence of lead mining in the vicinity. A road on the right leads down Farnley Lane, which comes into the turnpike roan between Stoney Middleton and Tideswell. If, however, we continue the road by Longstone Edge we may reach Blakelow, Black Harry, Longstone, or Millers' Dale.

FROGGATT is worthy of a visit, and can be approached by way of the Old Lane, Cow Ease, and by Froggatt Lane. A walk by the side of the Derwent, across the bridge, through the fields and meadows brings the pedestrian back to Middleton. The tourist might continue his course along the Derwent side to Grindleford.

EYAM, historic through the plague of 1666, can be reached either by way of a pass between the rocks in Middleton Dale, called ‘the Grip’, or over a small eminence on the Bank called ‘the Cliffe’ and by Cliffe Stile. A large stone trough is supposed to have stood here for money, etc., to be deposited for purification during the time that Eyam was in quarantine. It can also be approached via Mill Lane, a road doubtless much traversed by carters desirous of avoiding the Toll Bar.

If the tourist, however, is in Middleton Dale, a turn on the right, called Eyam Dale, will lead to the same village.

End of Chapter XXIV: => MISCELLANEOUS

OCR/transcript by Rosemary Lockie in February 2003.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Cowen1910/ChapterXXIV.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library