History of the Village of Stoney Middleton

By Thomas E. Cowen (1910)

Transcriptions by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2003

History of the Village of Stoney MiddletonCHARITIES

CHARITIES.

THOMAS WHYTE by will dated 1692, gave land and premises, consisting of 32 acres old enclosed land at Booths, in the parish of Hathersage, to four trustees and their heirs on trust, viz.:-

Benjamin Ashton, of Hathersage, Gent.
William Fynney, of Little Longstone, Yeoman
James Fynney (his son and heir apparent).
Thomas Fynney (another son).

At the enclosure of 1808, nine acres were added.

Out of rents the trustees were to pay:-

  1. - £6 yearly to the Curate of Stoney Middleton, providing that he came into “the cure” with the consent of Benj. Ashton and the majority of the trustees; otherwise it was to be applied to charitable purposes. This is paid in equal portions on St. Thomas's Day and the Day of Pentecost.

  2. - 10s yearly “to the Clerk of the Church or Chapel of Stoney Middleton” on St. Thomas's Day.

  3. - A Sixpenny Brown Loaf and a shillingsworth of Flesh meat to each of twenty poor people, resident in the chappelry of Stony Middleton, on the feast of St. Thomas and the Day of Pentecost.

  4. - 10s. yearly, to the persons who distribute the Charity.

  5. - With the exception of some private bequests, the remainder of the rent and profits were to be divided equally amongst the trustees.

A wealthy gentleman of this name lived in “Nook House” 50 or 60 years ago, but whether he was a relative of this benefactor is not known. The well outside is still designated “White's Well.”

ROBERT TRURIE by will in 1720 left a rent charge of £3 issuing out of two messuages in Derwent Dale, to be paid by the Vicar of Derwent for the education of poor children. This is the only school that receives it.

BENJAMIN ASHTON, great grandfather of the late Major Shuttleworth, left an annual sum of £10 to be paid by John Spencer Ashton Shuttleworth, Esq., of Hathersage,

[Page 49]

to the chapelwardens and overseers of Stoney Middleton chapelry, to be distributed on St. Thomas's Day to the poor, in sums varying from 2s to 10s. This has not been paid for many years.

“REV. FRANCIS GISBORNE, Rector of Staveley, gave and bequeathed on trust (in 1818) certain sums of 3 per cent. Bank Annuities, the dividends whereof are to be laid out in the purchase of coarse Yorkshire Cloth and Flannel, which are to be given to the Poor of the several Rectories, Vicarages, and Curacies in Derbyshire nominated in the Trust Deed. The Minister or (should he be prevented) the churchwarden, who respectively are requested to take upon themselves that trouble, is to make the distribution at his discretion. The sum of £6 12s. 11d. is received annually, and the Flannel is distributed on St. Thomas's day.

End of Chapter XXII: => INDUSTRIES

OCR/transcript by Rosemary Lockie in February 2003.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Cowen1910/ChapterXXII.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library