History of the Village of Stoney Middleton

By Thomas E. Cowen (1910)

Transcriptions by Rosemary Lockie, © Copyright 2003

History of the Village of Stoney MiddletonTHE VILLAGE

THE VILLAGE.

STONEY MIDDLETON is a romantic village situated five miles from Bakewell, five from Tideswell, and twelve from Sheffield. A brook running through the village divides it from the neighbouring village of Eyam. Some of the houses are situated one above the other, on ledges of rock which seem to be almost inaccessible, and the others are scattered.

Dr. Denman, uncle of the first Baron, writing in 1798, says, “Stoney Middleton stands on a very extraordinary eminence, and the main street seems to have been formed by the laceration of a high hill, which must have been affected by a tremendous concussion of nature. This chasm continued is the justly celebrated Middleton Dale. On one side of the Derwent the rock is limestone and on the other gritstone, and the stone which separates these two is shivery and of little use.”

A great variety of shells and marine impressions are to be found in the rocks known as Encrinital Limestone, the characteristics of which are better revealed when polished.

The several parts of the village are thus designated: The Townend or Town Gate; the Cross, from which branch High Street, the old coach road via Highfield, Moyston Knowle, over Longstone Edge, to Manchester. The other branch leads to the Dale Mouth, or opening of the renowned Middleton Dale. On the right near the old Toll House is the Bank, over which coaches formerly journeyed, and a turn to the left leads to a secluded corner, which is called the Nook, near the Church and the Roman Baths.

It contained a great tract of moorland until 1801, when an Act was obtained for its enclosure.

End of Chapter I: => THE DWELLINGS

OCR/transcript by Rosemary Lockie in February 2003.

This is a Genealogy Website
URL of this page: http://texts.wishful-thinking.org.uk/Cowen1910/ChapterI.html
Logo by courtesy of the Open Clip Art Library